Genotypic and Phenotypic Correlation and Path Coefficient ‎Analysis for Grain Yield and its Components in Some ‎Sweetcorn (Zea mays L. saccharata) Genotypes

Mohamed Nael Khattab*(1)

(1). Crops Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Tishreen University, Lattakia, Syria.

(*Corresponding author: Dr. Mohamed Nael Khattab. E-Mail:

Received: 21/05/2019                               Accepted: 06/09/2019


A field experiment was conducted at Dmsrkho region, Latakia governorate, Syria, during two seasons 2017 and 2018.  Six genotypes of maize Zea mays L. saccharat were used in this study, i.e: Temptation,Target-A, Sucaria-1 and Sucaria-7- Merritt (USA), and (Faihaa) to study of the  genotypic and phenotypic correlation and path analysis  of yield and its components (number of grains per row, number of rows per ear, 100 kernel weight, ear length, ear circumference), to determine the most common traits of yield and to determine the appropriate selection criteria evidence to improve Sweetcorn. The study showed that the genotypic correlations were higher in most studied traits. The study of genetic correlations were significant and positive in most traits, especially between the fresh yield of the plant with the plant height (rg=0.57**), ear height (rg=0.53**), ear length (rg=0.69**(, ear circumference (rg= 0.83**), number of rows in per ear (rg=0.34**), number of grains per row (rg= 0.72**) and 100 kernel weight )rg=0.66**.( The results showed a high direct effect of the number of grains per row )Genotypic 0.55 and phenotypic 0.53), 100 kernel weight (Genotypic 0.563 and phenotypic 0.451), number of rows per ear  (Genotypic 0.51 and  phenotypic 0.35( and plant height  (Genotypic 0.113 and phenotypic 0.184(, on the individual plant yield because of their strong correlation with it. These traits can therefore be relied as selection criteria to improve grain yield in Sweet corn. The relative importance of the yield variability was (58.67%) because of the fifth aforementioned traits, while the other effects on yield were (41.33%). These five traits are the most important traits that affect the variation in yield in this study

Key words: Sweet corn, Genotypic correlation, phenotypic correlation, genotypic path coefficient, phenotypic path coefficient.

Full paper in Arabic: PDF